Apply from outside the UK
You must apply online for a Skilled Worker visa.
Check which documents you’ll need to apply.
Your partner or children will need to apply separately.
Proving your identity and providing supporting documents
As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have.
- have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre – this is to get a biometric residence permit
- use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document – you’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
If you do need an appointment:
- the centre may need to keep your passport and documents while they process your application
- you may have to travel to get to your nearest visa application centre (this could be in another country)
Apply for a Skilled Worker visa
Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.
Continue your application
Sign in to your account using the link from your sign-up email.
How long it takes to get a decision
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.
It’s currently taking 6 weeks on average to get a decision on Skilled Worker visas. Find out visa decision waiting times.
You’ll be contacted if your application will take longer, for example because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction
You may be able to pay to get a faster decision – you’ll be told if you can when you apply.
After you apply
You can ask to cancel your application. You’ll only get your fee refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.
You’ll get an email containing the decision on your application. This will explain what you need to do next.