Nippon Foundation Fellowship
The United Nations is here with their Nippon Foundation Strategic Needs Fellowship (UNNF) 2023. The UN Nippon Foundation Strategic Need Fellowship aims to assist developing states, mainly undeveloped nations, developing Island states, and landlocked unprogressive countries, to address the urgent, strategic issues affecting ocean affairs and the sea law that they must deal with. It’s also to aid the countries in implementing the United Nations Convention (UNCLOS) and UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 14 and all the Applicants from a marine background would be highly appreciated. Applic related SDGs.ants will get an opportunity to research in the fellowship program. Fellows will get guidance from the world’s best supervisors.
This international fellowship is for government representatives from developing States who are occupying key positions in their administration but have little experience with ocean affairs and the law of the sea and are given in-depth, highly customized training on these topics, with an emphasis on the areas where States have identified significant capacity barriers. The Fellowship entails a four-month instruction course at the Office of Legal Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat, Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, at the UN Headquarters in New York.
The United Nations Nippon Foundation is a partnership between the UN and the Nippon Foundation, a non-profit organization based in Japan. The partnership aims to support the UN’s efforts to promote human rights, peace, and sustainable development. The United Nations Nippon Foundation was established in 1990 with a donation from the Nippon Foundation to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The partnership has since expanded to include collaborations with other UN agencies, such as the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS). The United Nations Nippon Foundation supports a range of initiatives and projects, including humanitarian assistance and disaster relief efforts, the promotion of disability rights and inclusive development, supporting ocean governance and sustainable fisheries, and peacebuilding and conflict prevention efforts.
Here are more details about the UN Nippon Foundation Fellowship in the USA
- Country: USA
- Financial coverage: Fully Funded
- Deadline: March 24, 2023
Eligibility Criteria :
Are you a Government official and interested in applying for this Fellowship? Then, first, go through the eligibility criteria.
Eligibility Criteria for UN Nippon Foundation Fellowship
- Must be between the age of 25 to 40
- Have at least a first-level university degree or equivalent.
- Should have the ability to undertake advanced research and studies
- Must be from a developing country
- You must be Government officials from developing countries dealing directly with critical issues related to the development of oceans and seas, including the execution of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development; national and regional ocean policy, the establishment of maritime zones, coastal zone management
- and the delimitation of maritime boundaries; conservation & management of marine living resources; naval transport and shipping; naval security; the protection and preservation of the marine environment; and marine science.
- The suggested Plan must align with the state’s initiatives and directly influence the implementation and development of Ocean affairs and the law of the sea policies.
Before applying, check the financial coverage and benefits of this strategic Fellowship Program 2023.
Benefits of the United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship:
- The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellows engaging in the 9-month program will also receive the stipend during their time in the second Host Institution. Fellows will receive the monthly stipend during their Fellowship and time in New York. Following United Nations travel regulations, this stipend is paid beginning on the day a Fellow leaves their home country and concludes on the day the Fellowship is completed, allowing for a travel time of up to two days via the most direct air path.
- A return economy class air ticket will be given to fellows so they can travel from their home country to finish the Fellowship. Nippon foundation will cover the return economy class airfare for strategic needs fellows between their country of residence and DOALOS in New York.